By: Karysa SwackenbergLove is in the Air
When the sun rose on this warm and sunny Friday morning, we welcomed the first official day of summer. June twenty-first has been marked on all our calendars as the day we can declare spring is over and begin to enjoy all the activities that the hottest season of the year has to offer. Summer is the time for long walks on the beach, spending time by the pool with your grandchildren; but is also the perfect time to dive into a new relationship or work on growing the one you are in.
During the teenage ages, you all remember the butterflies that were brought to your stomach from talking to that cute boy while shopping at the mall, or kissing a pretty girl for the very first time. And just because you are aging and entering the senior population, does not mean those butterflies and opportunities to meet a new partner disappear. In fact, summer is the best time of the year for any age to spark a new connection, enjoy activities with your current spouse, or fall in love with someone brand new. And here is why.
Hotter Temperatures Means Feeling Better
It is no secret people enjoy the warmer weather opposed to baring the cold nights in snow to make sure your planned date night is successful. In fact, according to the Harvard Health Publishing Journal, higher temperatures and exposure to sunlight actually boost your mood and encourage you engage in new experiences. When our body is exposed to sunlight, our brain triggers dopamine and serotonin to be released. These endorphins then flow through the body and make you feel happy. The happier you are, makes you more socially active and experience new things. And spending your summer months outside making memories with someone you like, can make you to fall in love faster and deeper than ever before.
Outdoor Dates Are Just Better!
Snowy days during the winter months, make you long for the long hot days of summer, so take advantage of going outside these upcoming weeks. According to the Senior Dating Expert, the best summer activities for seniors to take part in when starting a new relationship, or continuing to make more memories in the one they are already in are; picnics, dancing, wine tastings, hanging out at the beach, singing along at a concert, or going to a sports game. Seniors are a lot more active in the summer and these dates are the perfect opportunity to release some more endorphins and get to know someone new while under the sun.
Summer Dates in the New Jersey Area
New Jersey is one of the best states for hosting senior-friendly events and activities to keep you cool and entertained this upcoming summer. So, put yourself out there; ask the handsome boy in your book club or the beautiful girl at your bingo to join you in one of these many dates that can make you fall in love or just make some more pleasing memories in the heat this summer!
• Seaside Park Marina hosts their Seaside Park Farmers Market from May to September on Mondays 10 AM – 3 PM
• Senior Excursions Inc. transports and hosts seniors to trips to places like Wildwood, Washington DC, Lancaster County for an affordable cost
• Monroe Township Cultural Arts Commission presents Music in the Park, a series of free summer concerts on Thursdays at 6 p.m. at The Open Grove Gazebo on the Lake at Thompson Park, Monroe
• Piscataway Cultural Arts Commission hosts free Concert in the Park season on Thursday nights at 7 p.m. at the Columbus Park extension gazebo
• AARP Hosts the Wine and Chocolate Festival Sunday, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:00am at the Monmouth Park Racetrack
• AARP Smart Driver Course: Morristown Senior Center on Thursday, Jun 20, 2019 at 9:00am
• And for more AARP hosted senior-friendly date ideas this summer click here for more events
Stern, Robert. (2017) Benefits of Moderate Sun Exposure. Harvard Health Publishing Journal. health.harvard.edu/family_health_guide/benefits-of-moderate-sun-exposure